[K12OSN] vnc fix for "no vncserver not found"

Barry R Cisna brcisna at frontiernet.net
Sat Mar 12 18:01:48 UTC 2005

Hello List

    I found a fix, to part of my Webmin delima,and thought it may be of interest ,possibly to other posters,,that have had the vnc-server that "seems" to no longer work& or no longer can vnc ( for example from a WIndows box)...to your K12LTSP server.
    I did find that my vncserver was actually running by doing a  ps ax | grep Xvnc
    but was listed as "stopped" in the system-services gui box.
    So,,onward>>>.

    After many hours of thrashing( dont we all?), I found that in my host.conf file the --127.0.0.1 localhost  hostname localhost.localdomain localhost--entry  was no longer listed...

    I simply re-entered these values,into the host.conf file ,and ,again my vnc functionality is working again.
    I have read several posts a few months back ,were other users,,,can no longer vnc to their servers, and hope this may be a fix for someone,as well.

    BTW:  FYI, Uninstalling and reinstalling the vnc-server RPM,,did not fix this which was my first stab at resolving this issue.
    Here's another head scratcher. I  noticed on one of our servers, there are >no< files in the boot folder, hidden,,or otherwise! I dont have a clue how this server even boots up,,but it works fine?..There are none of the vmliniz,grub.conf. initrd files to be found?..

    ( i need to quite hacking around with Webmin, me thinks!)

    Take Care,

    Barry CIsna
RR1 Box 213
Gladstone, IL 61437