[K12OSN] pam_mount

Nathan Sinton nsinton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 20:11:40 UTC 2005

I'm having a problem with pam_mount.  I've got a linux box logging
into my Win 2003 domain but I want to have the user's home directories
mounted/unmounted automatically.  I installed pam_mount using yum and
have it configured like this:

/etc/security/pam_mount.conf

debug 1
mkmountpoint 1
options_require         nosuid,nodev
lsof                    /usr/sbin/lsof
fsck                    /sbin/fsck
losetup                 /sbin/losetup
unlosetup               /sbin/losetup -d
smbmount                /bin/mount -t cifs
umount                  /usr/bin/smbumount
volume * smb raid & /u/&
uid=&,gid=&,dmask=0777,nodev,suid,workgroup=LCHSCOMPLAB - -

/etc/pam.d/system-auth

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_winbind.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so broken_shadow
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore]
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_winbind.so
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_permit.so
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_mount.so use_first_pass

password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok
use_authtok md5 shadow
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_winbind.so use_authtok
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

#session     required      /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so
skel=/etc/skel/ umask=077
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
session     optional      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_mount.so

/etc/pam.d/login

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_securetty.so
auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so use_first_pass
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     pam_nologin.so

account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    sufficient   /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_mount.so use_first_pass
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
# pam_selinux.so close should be the first session rule
session    required     pam_selinux.so close
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     pam_console.so
# pam_selinux.so open should be the last session rule
session    required     pam_selinux.so multiple open
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_mount.so

I'm just trying to get a text console logon to work first and then
I'll move on to gdm.

In my /var/log/messages I've got a few weird things.

Mar 14 13:00:01 bungelab2020 pam_winbind[4497]: Could not retrieve
user's password

Mar 14 13:00:04 bungelab2020 login[24561]: pam_mount: command: mount -t cifs
Mar 14 13:00:04 bungelab2020 login[4497]: pam_mount: mount errors
(should be empty):
Mar 14 13:00:04 bungelab2020 login[4497]: pam_mount: pam_mount:
command: mount -t cifs

Mar 14 13:00:05 bungelab2020  -- nathansinton[4497]: LOGIN ON tty2 BY
nathansinton

I don't know about the pam_winbind error because it lets me login and
does fail if the password is incorrect.  I think that the problem is
that pam_mount isn't passing the right options to the mount command.
I think that what it shows as the mount command is what it is actually
running.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Nathan