[K12OSN] K12LTSP on a Mac! See the proof in the pics here!

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Tue Mar 15 16:39:54 UTC 2005

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, March 15, 2005 at 11:28 AM +0000 wrote:
>Heres one for you David.  You know how you connect to a Windows Terminal
>Server with Rdesktop right?  I have been wondering a way to do the same
>to connect to an OSX server.

Hmmm....now you have me thinking.  (great...now I won't get anymore sleep
this week)  ;-)

>Could VNC server be put on an OSX Server
>and then use VNC to connect to OSX while in Linux just like you would
>with Rdesktop to Windows?  I don't know if there is a Server Version for
>OSX or not but I know that Remote Desktop has the feature of connecting
>to VNC and with a Unix base I can't see why this isn't possible.

Yes....it's OS X server....similar to the workstation version.
But...here's one thing the Macs can do....they can do a diskless netboot
now...from an OS X server.  Essentially you create a netboot image (nbi)
and put it into a netboot share....etc...etc.  It works for Mac
hardware....wouldn't it be cool if it could work for a Linux terminal...
We should study the netboot process and find out how and why.

>Food for thought.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School