[K12OSN] low tech solution needed for backing up home directories

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Tue Mar 15 18:46:30 UTC 2005

Hey,

Does anyone have a nifty solution for backing up home dirs?  All the
users are using Samba only.  I only have about 20 users.  But I'd like
one of the users (kindof the school power user) to be able to drag
copies to her workstation once a week or so for safety.  I was trying to
get a "postexec" command to tar each persons home dir when they log
out.  But it's not working and I have no idea how to troubleshoot it.
(People are connecting from Macs mainly and I'm wondering if the Mac
ejecting the drive even counts as a "log out".)  Any ideas?  How are
folks without tape drives or a backuppc server backing up home drives on
a smaller network.  I need an ingenious solution.  I'm looking at cron
next, but I've never made my own cron script before, I've only typed in
commands that I've found in online documentation for various programs, etc.

Thanks a million,

ck