[K12OSN] Can't see internet on fresh 4.2.0 install

David D. Nelson nelsda at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 22:55:29 UTC 2005

I tried the acpi=off and it didn't change. When I ping
I get a network not reachable still. This box worked
fine on K12LTSP 3.x.

When I do a fresh install of 4.2.0 do I select the
HTML box if I'm not hosting web pages on this box?
Maybe it isn't the firewall and maybe it is the
network line. Any ideas?

David
--- Angus Carr <acarr at saskforestcentre.ca> wrote:
> This happened to me, and was traced down to an ACPI
> bug in the BIOS.
> Anyway, the solution was to add acpi=off to the
> kernel  command line.
> You can test that by editting the command line at
> boot time using grub's
> tools for doing that. If you want to test it
> permanently, you can edit
> /etc/grub.conf and add it there.
>
> This may not be the problem, but it has happened to
> others.
>
> Angus Carr.
>

> David D. Nelson wrote:
>
> >I can't get a new install of K12LTSP 4.2.0 to see
> the
> >internet. I have a static IP which is connected to
> >eth1. I have set the correct ip, mask, and gateway
> >according to what my ISP provided. I know they work
> >because I can connect with a windows box using the
> >same settings. I can ping eth1's ip but when I try
> >ping anything on the outside I get a message which
> >says something like network not reachable. I
> finally
> >did a default install to see if it was something I
> did
> >wrong and it still doesn't work. Could there be
> some
> >firewall settings I need to set? If so, how/what do
> >set them to? At this point I don't need to host
> >anything. I just want my terminals back and be able
> >have the LTSP box be a firewall and router to the
> >internet.
> >
> >Thank you.
> >

> >David D. Nelson
> >nelsda at yahoo.com