[K12OSN] how to backup a folder to a Cd with BackupPC?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Mar 18 02:26:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 17:51, Huck wrote:
> my ltsp server doesn't have a burner.
>
> and I want to burn a cd of a directory from my last full backup for a
> teacher.

Backuppc lets you set up something called 'archive' hosts that will
generate tar archives of the last backup run from a machine either
written to tape or split into files in a directory in sizes that
will fit a cd or dvd.  That's  not a very handy way to keep
anything but a full system backup, though.

I'd try to make the files directly readable on the CD instead.
To do that, restore the directory you want somewhere, possibly
using the 'send tar archive as a browser download' option and
extracting the archive somewhere.  Then use any number of ways
to copy to a CD.  I'd probably use:
mkisofs -v -J -r -V 'VOL_NAME' -o iso_file_name.iso directory_name
and
cdrecord -dev=2,0,0 -driveropts=burnfree -eject iso_file_name.iso
But you might like k3b if you don't know what all the options mean.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com