[K12OSN] MB Temperature

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Mar 18 21:45:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:27:12PM -0600, Liam Marshall wrote:
> My k12ltsp server (4.2) sits on a machine running from an ASUS dual cpu motherboard.  It has been functioning flawlessly for several months.  The other day it went down.
>
> I checked the logs.  System log reported a message that the temperature had reached 60 degrees and it was initiating a shutdown.  The messages went on to state that the shutdown was nice and orderly.
>
> I did not even know that was possible for the os to be aware of mb and cpu temperature.  I am glad it detected a high temp and shut down prior to real damage, but have no IDEA why it went high.  I will investigate.
>

> Question 1  Is there a way to manually check the temperature while server is running?  from the terminal? elsewhere?

You want the package "lm_sensors" installed. Then:

1) run sensors-detect (as root, of course) to record the sensor hardware on
  your motherboard
2) enable the "lm_sensors" service (chkconfig lm_sensors on;service lm_sensors start)
3) run "sensors" to see current sensor data

If you use gkrellm, it has the ability to monitor the sensors. You can
also run a cron job, if desired.

>  Personally, I would like to check the temp at various times under various loads to try and sus out why the temp spiked and for general interests.  I was not in the lab at the time.  Some grade 3 students were using it and doing fairly inoccuous stuff

I'd suggest you run gkrellm, and set it up to monitor the sensors.  Then you
can get a good sense of the correlation between cpu usage and cpu temperature.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)