[K12OSN] prelink

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Tue Mar 22 03:23:15 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 10:39 +0100, Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you had previous experience with Windows and its prefetch folder you
> already know what prelink is. If not, it is an service that speeds up
> application startup by prelinking it against libraries on the system,
> thus creating and modifying an application image. The system will work
> with out it enabled, but slower startup times of applications are
> expected, which doesn't really matter in the KLTSP case, because
> prelinking is to be used on workstations primarily. Also some
> applications, like wine cedega cannot run if prelinking is on.
>
> Prelinking is included with Fedora Core since V2.
>
> You should search the net on how to disable the prelinking, because, not
> only the cron job should be removed. I think that there was an
> configuration file that should be modified as well.
>
> Best regards,
> Petar Dimitrijevic

Thanks for the info.  Yes a did a little reading on prelink and saw
Jim's advice that it was nothing to do with IceWM.  Funny that me seeing
it just coincided with trying IceWM instead of KDE.  You have given
extra info about i that I didn't have, thanks.

The PC in question doubles duty as a workstation most of the time until
it's needed as an LTSP server when the family logon to use clients in
other rooms for a home LTSP network.  So probably useful to leave
prelink in place - I'll just change the cron to run at a time of day I
will definitely be asleep and the CPU slug will be unnoticed :-)

Regards, Gavin