[K12OSN] Managing usernames and passwords across 6 K12LTSP servers (NEWBIE)

Nick Fenger nickfmail4-lists at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 01:11:59 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am in the final stages of rolling out our 100% free
6 server, 30 client K12LTSP system. This has been very
easy thus far!!!

I have 6 dual PIII 700 servers w/ 5 clients each that
I need to keep username and passwords synchronized so
students can access files anywhere in the school. I
understand the NFS stuff but I am not sure if I should
use NIS, smbldap, Openldap, LDAP, etc... It seems
copying /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow would work but I
am not sure how to do this either (rsync, ssh???) If
that is indeed the quickest way to get going before
the end of spring break then all I might need is a
sample script/command that does this for my 6 servers.
Otherwise, if someone can direct me toward NIS or LDAP
I can start learning those since one of these seem to
be the long term solution.

I am new to Linux but have learned a tremendous amount
through online HOWTO's since starting this project in
November.

Thanks in advance,

Nick Fenger
Math/Science Teacher and "The guy who does the
computer stuff"
Trillium Charter School
Portland, OR