[K12OSN] lts.conf query

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:26:06 UTC 2005

> I can see the point,I just don't know if it would help.  In the case of
> 20 machines not much of a problem.  But say on my campus here I hope to
> have about 350 machines by next year.  So in that case if there were 50
> of half a dozen different types it may be usefull.  But on the other
> hand if you had to enter specific wsxxx under each group that would be
> time consuming as well.  Plus I don't get how only entering a
> workstation name would have any consistancy.  Can't workstation names
> change at random depending on lease times and boot orders?  I would
> think you would have to have a list of mac addresses.  And in that case
> you would almost need some sort of database or spreadsheet to track mac
> addresses, and at that point you could throw a script at an output from
> the database and be done in seconds.

For what it's worth, you can download the Symbiont workstation manager
software (free)--I really like what it does in this regard.  You can
create a "profile" for a certain type of workstation, and then just
assign that profile to new machines that get added.  I did a
60-machine install last month with 5 or 6 different hardware
configurations, and it was a snap.  Has other nice "gui" features for
display, keyboard, and mouse configurations.  Also allows you to
"group" machines, say from a classroom, for easy organization, and to
easily name workstations based on their mac addresses.

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct