[K12OSN] lts.conf query

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Mar 23 23:11:27 UTC 2005

> My own opinion is that you're best off using the MAC addresses of
> the NICs - you can add them to lts.conf with the one-liner which I
> posted to this list recently, using the MAC address instead of the
> hostnames in the first part of the one-liner (for n in
> MA:CA:AD:DR:ES:S1 MA:CA:AD:DR:ES:S2 etc)

With my minimal knowledge I agree.  Given the nature of DHCP the only way to
gaurantee you'll always get the same settings would be by MAC address.  DHCP
when asked for an IP will write the associated IP address and Mac address to
the dhcpd.leases file.  This is given a time to live of usually 12 hours.
After the time to live expires the entry will still stay in the dhcpd.leases
file unless another workstation needs a lease and no more free IP addresses
are available from the range in the dhcpd.conf file.  At that point it will
overwrite the oldest lease with the new one.  So I suppose if you have a
dhcpd.conf range of 254 addresses and only 30 terminals I guess in theory you
should be safe as long as the dhcpd.leases file is never cleared.  But you
will most likely be pulling your hair out if this ever happened and have to
completely redo your lts.conf.  So that is why my vote is with using mac
addresses.

If anyone knows the above to be incorrect please correct me.