[K12OSN] Mysterious server reboot

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Thu Mar 24 14:58:14 UTC 2005

Right after my class this morning while I was working on the server, all
the clients in my room went gray screen, and then I noticed a broadcast
message from root saying the server is going down for a reboot NOW!.

The problem with this:  I did not issue a reboot for the server.  The
server has been up for over 60 days with no problems.  It is a K12LTSP
4.1.1 server.  I've run chkrootkit now and nothing has shown up, as well
as "rpm -Va"  I've got a number of S & 5 files, but most of them are
stuff that I've installed/modified or .so files...

I am at a loss at the moment.  The server is internal only, there are no
outside direct connections to it.  Either I've been hacked or some
student has found a way to reboot the server.

Help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Henry