[K12OSN] Server Quest

Ken Johnson ken.tech1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 19:29:13 UTC 2005

I am looking for a server to support a 10 node K12LTSP network (that
may be larger in the future).

Since budget is a consideration, I am looking on EBay for a
"previously loved" Dell Server.

I plan on at least a gig of RAM, 2 If I can afford it. (is this enough?)

I think I need SCSI (am I correct?) I have seen some servers that have
SCSI drives ranging in size from 9 to 36 gig. Would 9 be enough? Seems
a little small.

I have never worked with SCSI drives.What pifalls are there? Budget
does not permit making a mistake, I need to get a server that will
work with K!2LTSP.

Some have 3 drives and RAID- will this work with k12LTSP? Do I need this?

Some require rack mounting (never done that either)- should I avoid
those? The server will be placed in the same room as the workstations.
Do I have to mount it on a rack? (Budget and Space are
considerations.)

Any advice would be appreciated.