[K12OSN] Server Quest

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Fri Mar 25 20:01:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 at 2:43 PM Jim Wildman said:
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Ken Johnson wrote:
>> >
>> > Some require rack mounting (never done that either)- should I
>> > avoid those? The server will be placed in the same room as the
>> > workstations.  Do I have to mount it on a rack? (Budget and
>> > Space are considerations.)
>>
>> No, it can sit on a table BUT...servers (like Dells) tend to be
>> LOUD.  And they take quite a bit of power.

Not to mention that you're paying for an expensive case when you don't
need to be.  My (fairly limited) experience has been that all else being
equal, the rack-mount case adds to the price.  For the last few years I
haven't bought any "built" computers but put mine together from
components.  The prices on cases seriously favor a reasonable sized
tower ($60-$90) over a rack mount case ($150-$200).  Naturally if the
computer you want is only available in a rack case, that doesn't matter.
And $100 isn't a huge amount of money.

--
Henry