[K12OSN] Server Quest

Steve Honeycutt steve.honeycutt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:34:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:29:13 -0500, Ken Johnson <ken.tech1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a server to support a 10 node K12LTSP network (that
> may be larger in the future).
>
> Since budget is a consideration, I am looking on EBay for a
> "previously loved" Dell Server.
>
> I plan on at least a gig of RAM, 2 If I can afford it. (is this enough?)

The more ram you can afford, the better. Your machines will be best
served with more/faster ram than they would be with faster cpu's.

> I think I need SCSI (am I correct?) I have seen some servers that have
> SCSI drives ranging in size from 9 to 36 gig. Would 9 be enough? Seems
> a little small.

SCSI drives are hands down better than IDE's. They cost more (if
buying them new), but are far more reliable.

> I have never worked with SCSI drives.What pifalls are there? Budget
> does not permit making a mistake, I need to get a server that will
> work with K!2LTSP.

Can't think of any downside...

> Some have 3 drives and RAID- will this work with k12LTSP? Do I need this?

RAID is platform independent. Do you need it? - It's a very sweet
thing to have in case of primary drive failures.

> Some require rack mounting (never done that either)- should I avoid
> those? The server will be placed in the same room as the workstations.
> Do I have to mount it on a rack? (Budget and Space are
> considerations.)

Rack's are easier to pilfer through if you need to work on your
hardware. While racks are designed to be stored in a cabinet, it isn't
a law. Being that the server will be in the same room as your lab, I'd
probably go with a tower case.  A couple of my friends keep their
racks in a spare closet on a shelf, but they don't have a handful of
kids wandering about aimlessly either... ;^ )