[K12OSN] Server Quest

admin at bookpeople.com admin at bookpeople.com
Fri Mar 25 23:10:00 UTC 2005

Ken,

A LSTP environment *can* be managed with minimal equipment.  We (the
bookstore I work for) just started one and our current node count is 4
.  Our kernel/xserver uses an AMD 1.8 proc with 512 RAM.  I'll be the
first to admit that it doesn't scream, but it gets the job done with
icewm window manager (Gnome was really slow).  I didn't have a budget to
work with; only a pile of "anchors" that were planned for recycling.

Ditto to everything that Tom and Steve have said:  Get RAM! and a larger
FSB will help your processor utilize the RAM.  Processors:  if you can
get a multi-proc system, do it!  If you get a *newer* p4, check to see
if it supports hyper-threading (HT):  current Linux kernels will support
HT (*automatically* will notice it on the OS install).  Otherwise, yes,
you can find older dual and quad proc boxes for *cheap*.

A word on Dell:
  I live in Austin, TX;  I like to support Dell;   I come across Dell
hardware often;  it's good stuff and most of it is easily recognized
Linux.   BUT, don't plan on piecing your system with Dell components
unless you do some serious hardware research.  That is, I just got done
with my(personal) dual proc xeon and it's be a struggle all the way.  I
got a poweredge 1600 motherboard on ebay cheap (supports 604 sockets).
The board wouldn't fit into *any* case; the board was 12x13" (std atx,
but most *cheap* cases aren't that big, or offer no room besides).  The
mb tray wouldn't fit in the case, and the mb mounting points are not all
in the std locate (only has four of *ten* screws holding it to the
inside of the case).  The back face plate wasn't std, so i had to custom
fab one.  the fan connectors on the mb are *special* and only accepting
a Dell fan (read more mods).
--point is, buy the whole box, not pieces!  I could have saved myself a
lot of grief if I wasn't so tight with the $.
-my 2c

Best Regards,
-David Neimeyer
Bookpeople
Austin,TX

ps.  This is my first post, so, Hello All!