[K12OSN] Sound / MIDI / CCRMA

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Tue Mar 29 07:46:04 UTC 2005

I was looking at planet CCRMA this afternoon for use here at home
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Quote:
"Planet CCRMA (CCRMA is pronounced ``karma'') at Home is a collection of
rpms (RPM stands for RedHat Package Manager) that you can add to a
computer running RedHat 9 or Fedora Core 1, 2 or 3 to transform it into
an audio workstation with a low-latency kernel, current ALSA audio
drivers and a nice set of music, midi, audio and video applications.
Here at CCRMA we use a consistent and well defined Linux environment for
our daily work in audio and computer music and research. With the Planet
CCRMA at Home package collection, you can easily install most of that
environment on your own Linux system."

I doubt this is a feasible application for use on terminals but it would
be fantastic to be able to run a MIDI sequencer on terminals along with
a USB MIDI keyboard. Instant music lab.

If I wanted to experiment with this how would I go about adding an
alternative kernel to tftboot?