[K12OSN] Sound on terminals, Was: XKB Error

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Mar 29 14:45:23 UTC 2005

> I don't see much happening in the area of sound. I've been
> trying really hard to erect a "Somebody Else's Problem" field
> around sound, but one of the schools I support has started to
> make quite a bit of noise.
>
> Perhaps this should be the "long thread of the day"...
>
> If you have remote sound working:
>
>   * are you using ESD or NASD?
>   * what applications work, which don't?
>   * did you have to make any changes from the default?
>   * other tips and tricks?

The only sound apps I have needed at home as of late is RealPlayer10 to
play mp3's and sound in Gcompris for my daughter (I'm sure there is a
better app for mp3 playback but I wanted to test the Linux version of
Real).  In order to get sound working here I use NASD for Term150's and
have my user set to log into IceWM and my daughters into Gnome.  For
some reason Reals sound won't work in Gnome and Gcompris won't work in
IceWM.

I don't know what the difference is between them but maybe it would give
someone with more knowledge in this area a clue why sound isn't working
as well in the newest releases of K12LTSP.