[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.2.1 pre3, ready for production?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 31 18:34:44 UTC 2005

> I have a what I think is a 1st generation iMac (it's that
> funny blue color).  I installed the latest version available
> at sunsite.utk.edu a couple hours ago; yum update doesn't get
> any new ppc stuff.  I hold down the N key and get a network
> boot.  Forgiving typos, this is what the mac says:
>
> /pci at 8000000000/mac-io at 10/ethernet::-1,yaboot.conf: Unknown
> or corrupt filesystem Can't open config file Welcome to
> yaboot version 1.3.10 Enter"help" to get some basic usage information
> boot:
>
> then I have to power cycle to try again.
>
> Any clues?  I've got a teacher at a Mac school who'll be
> psyched if I can get this going.

If you are having trouble with the N key try booting to Open Firmware
and manually booting things.

Start the iMac while holding cmd+option+o+f to get into Open Firware.
At the prompt type:
"boot enet:192.168.0.254,yaboot" (if you're not using the defaults
substitute your own IP) then hit enter.  This should initiate the
network boot sequence.  If things go fine post back out and I'll give
you the steps to manually set things permanent.  The line above will
only work for the current bootup.

If you want you can check /tftpboot and be sure that yaboot.conf,
yaboot, the ppc kernel and ppc init files are there.  Also check
/opt/ltsp/ and be sure the ppc folder is present.