[K12OSN] Release cycle too fast

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 31 19:45:05 UTC 2005

> I have read it. But my point is that if we didn't have a 4.2
> release we could put our efforts into Muekow instead.  How
> many of us actually NEED 4.2 over 4.1? Please understand I
> think Eric is doing a SUPER job. But being a teacher +
> sysadmin + father + husband I know how precious time can be.
> So I feel for people like Eric who spend so much time
> releasing so often.

The new features and fixes are also important to a lot of others in the
meantime though.  I for one am very happy to see the PPC support
included in the new release.

I think the development for Muekow is farther upstream than Eric anyhow
(I may be out of line saying that, so correct me if I am wrong).  I
think the LTSP folks have to develop the new version along with Ubuntu
first, then Eric can take the new setup and repackage it when finished.
So in the meantime instead of letting everything just sit as is he is
still implementing our requests and repackaging the fixes.

Maybe his time would be more efficient if put toward the development of
Muekow, but maybe Muekow won't even evolve.  Maybe it does become
existant but takes 2 years before it is ready.  In those cases life
still needs to go on in the K12LTSP world.

And I would feel bad for anyone who abandoned a current project to work
on a possible new project...that may or may not fail...and then have to
play catch up for a couple of years lost time.  Not to mention the user
base that could be lost in the event things went this way.

I hear your concerns, but I think this is why things haven't gone the
way you suggest.  Of course I may be in left field.  Eric would most
likely speak for himself better than me.