[K12OSN] Release cycle too fast

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Mar 31 21:39:42 UTC 2005

Think of it this way....they make new cars every year....does that mean we
buy one every year?  Not me.

Also...think if it this way....the Model T had 4 wheels and an
engine....why bother to upgrade?

Simply put, if we do not continue to push the envelope...fix bugs...and
new drivers for new technolgy...update software....we'll never move
forward.  As individual system admins...we need to create our own "freeze"
points and work with that.  I have 4.1 installed.  It works fine and I
will not upgrade until this summer....why?  No need to.  Do I want
development to stop?  Heck no...I want something new and stable to upgrade
to this summer!  I currently play with 4.2 and love it!  The fact that I
get to play with it before I deploy it or one of its offspring...is
nice...since I can get familiar with it and work out my own bugs.  If you
use 3.12...great!  I must admit though that 4.1 has some really nice new
features that made it worth the update.  BUT...the nice thing is that
unlike M$...no one if forced to upgrade due to something no longer being
available or supported.  Version 3.12 will be around for a while...so
there's no rush to upgrade.  Just let the project continue to move forward
and we'll all jump on the train when we want to....not when we have to.
:-)

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, March 31, 2005 at 3:31 PM +0000 wrote:
>I've made several posts on this general topic over the last 1.5 years. I
>would look up the links in the archives, but I'm about to slip out for a
>much over-due three day weekend.
>
>The points made below pretty much sum up my feelings. We need to keep
>the stable versions around (if K12LTSP 3.1.2 does what you need it to
>do, then use it!) but we also know that we need to push hard to make
>this technology go as far as we want it to go. The release cycle is fast
>because it needs to be fast.
>
> From a personal perspective, I am happy with the development of
>K12LTSP.  I believe we are heading the right direction and are placing
>our limited resources where they will make the greatest long-term benefit.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us