[K12OSN] Squid and dansguardian

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Mar 1 09:14:12 UTC 2005

Lee Myrick wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Okay, I just got our k12ltsp network setup and running (woohoo!
> pictures can be found at http://renarts.org/technology.php ).
>
> Now I'm on to part two of the project: We currently have a dsl line
> coming in for internet access (works fine with the server just setup
> for dhcp connection). Now I want to setup Squid and Dansguardian. From
> what I've read on this list, it seems the best way to do this is with
> a separate box. I have an extra Compaq PIII box that should work. I'd
> also like this box to be an mail server if possible.
>
> I'm not new to Linux, but I'm new to a project this large, so forgive
> me if I'm asking newbie questions: I'm trying to get the physical
> configuration down as I haven't seen any talk about this part of
> setting up a proxy box.
>
> Question 1: Does the squid/dansguardian box need two nics? One for dsl
> in and one out to ltsp server?
>
> Question 2: Is it feasible to do squid/ dansguardian and a mail/ftp
> server on the same box?
>
> thanks,
>
> Lee Myrick
> Information Technology Coordinator
> Renaissance Arts Academy
> lee at renarts.org
> http://www.renarts.org
>
> 323-259-5700 school site

If your going to have a dedicated proxy server box have a look at Censornet
(www.censornet.com) it's a open source proxy server that used Squid,
Dansguardian on a Debian system.

It has loads of nice management tools and will authenticate against Samba.
We use it in College and are really impressed by it.

Brian