[K12OSN] Project MueKow

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Mar 1 19:59:09 UTC 2005

> Please read through it, and give us some feedback.  This is still in
the very early stages, and we haven't written any code yet, but it is
> something that we are excited to move forward with.

This may be a crazy question, but under this format is there a way we
could choose an independent platform to use to build the LTSP
Root-Trees?  Say I used Fedora as a base, could I install Debian as the
/opt/ltsp/i386 directory with the " debootstrap --arch i386 sarge
/opt/ltsp/i386 http://ftp.debian.org/debian"?  If so could we install a
ppc based distro with whatever commands that distro would need?

If this is feasable could there be a menu driven script where we could
choose the distro (the script would have the up to date syntax for
pulling the correct packages), and then be prompted for a directory name
(maybe default to /opt/ltsp/i386) where we could enter whatever we
wanted?

I my opinion if this is possible it would provide excellent versatility.
We could run whatever base distro we fealt best for a server base, then
install as many different linux flavors to serve thins as we wanted in
/opt/ltsp/i386/debian
/opt/ltsp/i386/fedora
/opt/ltsp/i386/ubuntu
/opt/ltsp/ppc/yellowdog
/opt/ltsp/ppc/ubuntu

You get the idea.  I don't know how we would choose what we booted from
the clients, we know that using the vendor code and such works with
determining ppc/i386/pxe/etc but how we would determine the different
flavors for each architecture I don't know.  What if each architecture
had a boot menu that was updated upon each flavor install under that
directory base?  So the above example would load a base kernel dependant
on architecture and then display something like a grub boot menu but to
choose your flavor instead of a kernel version, then that menu pointed
you down the correct nfs path and found the correct kernel paths in
tftp?

Just some thoughts, I wish I knew more so I could determine if the above
makes me sound insane :-)