[K12OSN] novell authentication

Barry Solof barry at yellowdog.com
Tue Mar 1 21:14:34 UTC 2005

Hi,

The easy way to test if a client can hook to a Netware server:

* Boot from a Knoppix disk.  You can run "knoppix 2" to avoid loading
the gui.

* Make a directory to use as the mount point.  i.e. "mkdir /mnt/test"

For IPX
* "ipx_configure --auto_primary=on --auto_interface=on"
* "ncpmount -S servername -U username admin.tree /mnt/test"

For IP
* "ncpmount -S servername -A 10.6.21.13 -U admin.tree /mnt/test"
    (-A is the numeric address of the server)

Quick Example for IP
------------------------------
knoppix 2
mkdir /mnt/backup
ncpmount -S backup -A 10.6.21.13 -U admin.ccn /mnt/backup

Cool use: while you are connected to the server, create an image of the
pc hard drive.
Now that you are connected to Netware, you can change into a directory
on the server and run partimage.  Partimage can image your hard drive
into nice, cdrom sized files that will be saved on your Netware server.

Cooler use: create a virtual copy of the original computer.
Fire up a VMWare virtual machine with the Knoppix disk.  Connect to
Netware as outlined above and restore the partimage files to the virtual
machine.

I use this all the time to create an exact copy of a production server.
I can then test upgrades and modification to the server before
committing the changes to the real production server.

Hope this helps!