[K12OSN] Project MueKow

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Mar 1 21:46:11 UTC 2005

> The problem is, 'debootstrap' doesn't exist on Fedora.  So
> you can't run that command on a fedora machine to build a
> debian client tree.
>
> And installing a PPC client tree on an x86 server is going to
> be tricky, even if the distros are the same.  The problem
> there is that we can't run the Pre-install and Post-install
> scripts in the PPC packages, because they likely try to
> execute PPC binaries, and that won't fly on an x86 server.
> So, the trick there is unpack a big ole tarball into the
> client tree directory.  Then, boot the PPC client, and run
> any additional installation commands that might be necessary.

I suppose if one really wanted to do such a thing another more task
intensive approach could be to perform a install on another machine,
build the ltsp tree in whatever directory I wanted, then move that
directory to my main server?  That would be a way to take care of us odd
ducks that wanted to install multiple flavors.

A thought on the booting the PPC client to install additional packages.
When I run a PPC client from a i386 server I get a identical desktop of
that on my i386 clients (if my base is Fedora then PPC shows Fedora).
When I run a i386 client from a PPC server I get an identical desktop as
that of my PPC clients (if my base is YDL then the i386 clients show
YDL).  So I wonder would the PPC client from a i386 server really be
able to execute PPC binaries and vice versa?  I don't quite understand
why this is but it seems like it would be a problem, unless of course
project MueKow changes things enough that this wouldn't be the case.  It
is handy though at this point that I can install a single package and it
shows up in both architectures, I imagine is could get messy maintaining
separate apps for each installed distro.