[K12OSN] old laptops as thin clients

Gustav J Kramer gj.kramer at planet.nl
Tue Mar 1 22:04:14 UTC 2005

Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm thinking about getting one or two old laptops from
> ebay to use as thin clients.  I don't know much about
> laptops, so are there any gotchas that I have to watch
> out for as far as getting one that will work?
>
> I know I need an ethernet port and either a floppy,
> hd, or cdrom (for loading the bootrom), but is there
> anything else?  A pentium should do it, right?  Any
> weird, incompatible hardware to watch out for?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Rob

I have had good success with the ThinkPad 760ED which has a P133
processor.  The only problem I had was with sound. (It uses a
proprietary chipset which emulates a soundblaster, once the DOS drivers
are loaded).  On some laptops I have had problems with the video card
detection, which, I assume, could be fixed by specifiying a server in
lts.conf

- gustav