[K12OSN] Project MueKow

Lee Myrick lee at renarts.org
Wed Mar 2 00:45:24 UTC 2005

On Mar 1, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Jim McQuillan wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 15:38, Jim McQuillan wrote:
>>
>>> A huge number of LTSP users are deploying with 486's, Pentium-I's and
>>> Pentium-II's, with 32mb (or less).  Trying to use the servers
>>> optimized
>>> binaries just wouldn't work in that case.  and at this point, we're
>>> just
>>> not interested in having to maintain 2 different ways of doing this.
>>>  1
>>> for same-arch clients, and a separate method for different-arch
>>> clients.
>>> and when I talk about diff-arch here, i'm referring to the difference
>>> between i386 and i686.  (Lots of i386 clients running from i686
>>> servers).
>>
>> OK, server disk space is cheap enough that it probably isn't worth a
>> lot
>> of trouble to save space by making the NFS-export the same as the
>> server
>> uses.  However, just based on hardware that has been manufactured and
>> is now obsolete and going off-lease, I'd guess that there is an
>> excellent chance that anyone building a new ltsp system today (and for
>> a long time going forward) would end up with an all-686 system). Thus
>
> Maybe in your world, everybody has P3 and P4 workstations, but ask the
> 80,000 students in So.Africa who are using LTSP, or the 600 schools in
> Peru that are setting up k12ltsp, or the projected 6,000 Telecentros
> locations in Brazil, or even look at the LTSP SuccessStories wiki entry
> at wiki.ltsp.org, and you'll see that old 486's, pentium-I's and II's
> are still VERY popular for deploying as thin clients.
>
> Almost every day I get reports of people deploying LTSP in areas where
> their only client hardware is old donated equipment, and it's NOT i686
> stuff.
>
> I'm just not willing to abandon those folks.
>
> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org

Amen to  that, Jim. I just finished setting up my first k12ltsp network
and we're using a mix of PII's and PIII's, all donated--and we're in
the Los Angeles area. Not to make comparisons, but there's a lot of
money in the So. Cal area compared to some places, just not money that
makes it way to schools. A lot of what makes it way to schools is still
in the PII (and even PI) range.

Lee Myrick
lee at renarts.org
http://www.renarts.org