[K12OSN] Setting Up Censornet

Peter Deakin k12ltsp at trinityschool.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 21:15:09 UTC 2005

Ken Johnson wrote:

>I'm a newbie trying to set up Censornet. It looks like a good solution
>to my content filtering requirement.
>
>I am confused, however about where to place the computer running Censornet.
>
>K12LTSP:
>
>eth0--->Internet
>
>eth1--->switch--->workstations
>
>Censornet has 2 NICs also, how should they be connected in this setup?
>
>Also I am testing this on a home network that consists of:
>
>cable modem --->Netgear MR814 Router--->PCs
>
>When I connect the k12LTSP server  (eth0) to the router it doesn't see
>the Internet.
>When I connect  the k12LTSP server  (eth0) directly to the cable modem
>it DOES see the internet.  Why?
>
>Is there any way I can put the k12LTSP server behind my router so my
>Windows stand-alone machines can share internet access?
>
>I would appreciate any help.
>
>Scratching my head-
>Ken Johnson

Hi Ken

On my setup eth0 is the private (green) NIC, if you log on at the
Censornet box and look under the network setup, I usually use two
diffent types of NIC's so that I then know which is which.

Have a look at http://www.censornet.com/support/diags.php
also
http://www.adelix-server.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=857&highlight=bridge

With a cable/dsl router I think you will need to operate Censornet in
bridge mode with one NIC's (the green) connected to your router. Then
set your windows / LTSP server to port 8080 with the IP address of the
green NIC to enable your machines to access the net. The down side is
that in bridge mode censornet will not act as a firewall, but I guess
your modem will have it own firewall built in and it is possible for
machines to bypass the proxie. If you have no othe machines connected to
your router except your Censornet box you should be able to the same
type of setup as below, as the router picks up the public IP address,
the rset are set to private IP's with different subnets for the Red and
Green NICs

My Setup Home setup - non bridge mode (you could try this to start with,
then experiment with bridge mode)

[Cable Modem IP set by
ISP]------------[router192.168.1.x]----------[192.168.1.x Red
NIC]----[Green NIC 192.168.0x]--------[SWITCH]-----[LTSP Server]

My school setup is very similar but I am using a DSL modem with one
Ethernet port which is in the same subnet as the Red NIC of the
Censornet box. The few windows machines connect to via a Switch along
with the LTSP server to the Green NIC of the Cenosrnet box, all of which
is on a differnt subnet to the Red interface.

Hope this Helps

Peter

www.tinityschool.org.uk