[K12OSN] Migrating from Samba 2.2.8 to Samba 3

Brian Chivers (Webmail) brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 21:42:08 UTC 2005

Has anyone managed to migrate from a samba 2.2.x PDC domain using a smbpasswd
backend to a Samba 3 PDC with a OpenLDAP backend ?

I have setup a test server using the excellent (creep creep) smbldap-installer
script and I can join machines to the new server without a problem and login
but with over 500 machines I don't really want to have to visit each machine.
What I'd like is to export the users / machine accounts from the current
domain, and import it to the one.

I've set the SID to be the same as the existing system but when I move a
machine from the old one to the new one or vice versa the machine complains
that it's domain account doesn't exist.

I've tried using pdbedit -i smbpasswd:/root/smbpasswd_old -e ldapsam but I get
this error

build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username fred with uid 1060
is not in unix passwd database!

Idea's please

Thanks
Brian