[K12OSN] OS X and Linux sessions at Northeast Linux Symposium

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Mar 4 16:54:46 UTC 2005

Just a note to let everyone know that we'll be adding an exciting new
dimension to the Linux Seminar this year!  Earlier this year, I assisted
Daryl Hawes in presenting Open Source OS X apps at the Christa McAuliffe
conference in NH.  It was very cool!  As many of you know, the HS project
(Maine laptop project) has included some Open Source apps in the
image...such as Open Office.  There are MANY Linux apps now being ported
to OS X....examples include KStars (virtual planetarium), KOffice,
Gnumeric, and many more!  This will broaden the many programs you can
offer your students!

Also...another VERY exciting development!  The Linux Terminal Server
Project (LTSP and K12LTSP) now works on Macs!  In fact, at LinuxWorld a
couple weeks ago we had a tangerine iBook running as a thin-client!  It
has been tested on a wide variety of Mac hardware.  We can even use a Mac
as an LTSP server!  I haven't tried it yet, but I bet an Xserve would make
an awesome LTSP server.  Imagine this!  In keeping with the concept of
teaching "concepts" vs. teaching programs and specific OS's....you could
expose your students to the 3 major OS's and the accompanying programs.
Let's say you have a lab of new Mac Minis.  First of all they're
inexpensive and they're very small.  Now let's assume you have a K12LTSP
server (Linux Terminal Server)....and possibly a Windows Terminal Server.
How do we get all 3 OS's?  Simple...to use OS X...the student could simply
boot to the local HD...or NetBoot volume (if you have an OS X
server)....to use Linux...they simply boot to the Linux Terminal Server
and log in....to use Windows...they could either launch the free RDP
client from within OS X or simply use rdesktop (as a launcher or menu
item) from within Linux.  How cool is that!  All three platforms....one
workstation.  Anyway...we'll be offering sessions of this nature at the NE
Linux Symposium...so if you're a Mac person and would like to know more
about Linux on Macs....

Register here:

http://linux.majen.net

and/or simply drop me an email

Now if I can just convince Jim K and Mike S to come and
present....otherwise I have a lot of learning to do...  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us