[K12OSN] K12LTSP and Dan's Guardian

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Fri Mar 4 18:59:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 March 2005 at 12:39 PM, Mark Cockrell said:

>> >You first asked whether or not DG could *filter* clients on the
>> >same server. That is a much different question than whether or
>> >not it can *transparently filter* clients on the same server.
>> >
>> >The short answer is that transparent filtering does not work
>> >on the terminal server, you need a separate server to do
>> >transparent filtering.
>>
>> Ok, I knew I remembered something about something not working
>> somewhere and some time. ;)  It's all becoming clear to me now.
>> I can run DG on the K12LTSP server, but I have to configure each
>> user's browser to use port 8080 for proxying.  Does that sound
>> right?  I had DG setup here long before I setup my K12LTSP box,
>> so it was a non-issue.  Now, I'm hoping to replicate my success
>> elsewhere.  Thanks.

I've set up a firewall using an old PII with Smoothwall Express [1],
Squid, and DansGuardian.  Smoothwall has a setting to run as a
transparent filter.  Seems to work pretty well.  I don't know if
there might be throughput limits but it's worked fine on my small
home network.

[1] http://www.smoothwall.org/

--
Henry