[K12OSN] Logging of bandwidth pr user or pr workstation

Sat Mar 5 15:36:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 14:55, Sudev Barar wrote:

> Build a gateway box between terminal server and common connection:
>
> terminals --- LTSP server ---- gatewaybox ---- Internet
>
> Then let squid do proxy and logging at the gateway box...?? Guru's out

We don't expect much traffic via http, so squid don't help.

I've put up a sketch of what's planned:

http://wangerin.linux.dk/network/spejderhytterne.png

People may also get access to put their own laptop on the connection and
use the exterrnal connection. The gateway-box will properbly be a
m0n0wall, handling incomming vpn-connections, and trafic-shaping.

> there may come up with better solution but to my limited reading and
> knowledge while getting the LTSP server do proxy is possible it is
> easily bypassed and internet can be assessed without even setting proxy
> in your browser.

One thing that is going to be used for sure is VoIP via hardware
sip-phones.