[K12OSN] K12ltsp V 4.1.1 & new(er) kernels problem

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Mar 6 18:45:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 12:13, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> Fedora Project since it's inception has been a test/experiment
> platform for Redhat. Therefore, I don't expect Fedora to be totally
> stable, especially with smp systems under heavy load that an LTSP
> server experiences. That's not to say everyone will experience
> flakyness but I don't think everyone should expect rock solid
> stability.

That's not exactly fair - the changes in fedora are made to
improve performance and add new device support, so some people
will experience the best performance under the new kernels.  But,
the lack of widespread testing does mean that certain other hardware
will exhibit problems from the changes.  I've found several machines
that will not run at least one of RH9/FC1/FC2 but works fine with
one of the others and is perfectly stable then.  However Centos3.x
will install and run on all of them.  I haven't repeated the tests
to include FC3 and Centos4 on the problem machines yet - so far I
haven't had a problem with FC3 where I've tried it and Centos4 was
just released.

> An alternative is to use Centos 4 and add LTSP or wait till
> K12LTSP moves over to Ubuntu (which is Debian based) Once Sarge comes
> out (soon) Ubuntu will reap the stability, support and longevity of
> Debian stable.

Errr, I thought the main advantage of Ubuntu was that they weren't
strictly following the Debian release schedule (or lack thereof).

> BTW I'm using 3.1.2 (RH9). My only real regret is not being able to
> run Scribus, Inkscape and GIMP 2.x

If you've updated to any anywhere near current firefox, evolution and
OOo, you've probably done more work than dropping in k12ltsp 4.2.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com