[K12OSN] K12ltsp V 4.1.1 & new(er) kernels problem

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Mar 6 21:55:44 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>BTW I'm using 3.1.2 (RH9). My only real regret is not being able to
>>run Scribus, Inkscape and GIMP 2.x
>>

>If you've updated to any anywhere near current firefox, evolution and
>OOo, you've probably done more work than dropping in k12ltsp 4.2.

Actually, it's not that hard to upgrade Firefox, Evolution, or OO.o.
For Evolution, I simply use Red Carpet, which handles all dependencies
for me and runs great on RHL 9.  Takes between five and ten minutes.
OO.o and Firefox are, I find, rather easy to upgrade; it takes me just a
few minutes and leaves the rest of my system intact.  Now, while it is
true that a network install of K12LTSP--any version--can take as little
as 20 minutes, you then have to backup/restore the userID/password
database and be concerned about users' desktops having strange icons on
them, depending on the desktop(s) that you allow them to have.  I'm
assuming a "clean install" of K12LTSP here, which is the only way I
really trust.

I guess it depends on the individual sysadmin's situation.  In my
current case, it's much less work to upgrade certain apps and leave the
base system intact, plus I have the peace of mind of a known working
system.  For those who have implemented LDAP authentication
infrastructures, use K12LTSP only for running apps (no file/printer
serving, etc., /home is NFS-mounted on a dedicated server), and tell the
K12LTSP server to authenticate against LDAP, then upgrading an entire
K12LTSP system is not nearly as risky a proposition.  That's, BTW, why
I'm currently studying LDAP.  :-)  I need to be able to set that kind of
thing up.

--TP