[K12OSN] Default Settings for Workstations

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Mar 7 16:57:38 UTC 2005

> Hello Team,
>
> I have a couple of questions.  First, is there a way to set
> up defaults on the LTSP server that will be mirrored on all
> of the workstations? I'm thinking of desktop backgrounds,
> Firefox favorites, menu bars, that sort of thing.  I would
> like every user to have a common desktop, favorites, etc.
>
> And once you have those set, is there a way to "lock" those
> in place? We use Deep Freeze on Windows, so if a student puts
> something inappropriate as a desktop background, or puts
> inappropriate links in the favorites a simple restart puts
> everything back to its original settings.  I'd like to be
> able to do something similar with LTSP.

I don't know for sure as I have not done this myself but I believe you
can setup a dummy user, create everything the way you need it, copy all
of the settings to /etc/skel and all new users will use this same info.
Then I would think you could set perms on these files to be read only so
that the users cannot change them.  Or use a little script to puch these
files to all existing users.

But I would wait for instructions from someone more capable :-)