[K12OSN] problem in starting a new dual boot machine in Linux

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Mar 9 02:11:53 UTC 2005

Nope, all Microsoft-style operating systems need only one partition, and
with the exception of 32-bit OS/2 with Boot Manager, it must be a
primary partition.  But you only need one.  That other partition is a
vendor-specific thing that Compaq puts on their boxes since they have,
for two decades, used their own BIOS (they were the first of the
IBM-compatibles back in 1983, long before the Phoenix BIOS was born).
In the case of Compaq, it contains some of their own diagnostic tools,
and no, that partition is not actually necessary.

You've got to be careful and keep very good track of things when you
start fiddling with partitions like this.  Remember that, on x86 boxen,
the OS kernel needs to be within the first 1,024 cylinders on the hard
disk, otherwise you're not likely to be able to boot the computer.  This
is true of all kernels, not just the Linux kernel; it's true of all
versions of Windows (MS says that's been overcome on XP, but I don't
believe it), all of the BSD's, OS/2--you name it--they're all the same
this way.  This is due to legacy issues in the x86 BIOS architecture,
which BIOS and mobo manufacturers have to follow, otherwise you're
compatible with NOTHING.  That's why I always make a small /boot
partition somewhere within the first 1,024 cylinders; since I run
exclusively Free OS's here at home, that means it's generally at the
beginning of the disk.  Note that it doesn't have to be a primary
partition, but a lot of us do it that way just out of habit.

Other machine types, such as the Sun UltraSPARC, don't place such limits
on where the kernel has to live on the hard disk.  It can be pretty much
anywhere.

--TP