[K12OSN] New Setup

David H. Barr david at okgoodwill.org
Wed Mar 9 22:45:20 UTC 2005

Finally!  At last someone saw fit to donate a number of similar machines that are (important part) in working order.  So now I have the following gear for my to-be clerical skills training lab:

[Server x1]
dual 800Mhz PIII
512MB pc133 ECC
~80GB RAID5
2x Intel 10/100
CDRW
Floppy

[Switch x1]
16 port 10/100

[Printer]
HP LJ 4000 (direct attach to server)

[Clients x3]
IBM PC300GL
350 Mhz PII
128 MB pc100
6.4 GB
3com 10/100
Floppy

[Clients x2]
IBM NetVista
800 Mhz PIII
128 MB pc133
3com 10/100
Floppy

I'm rsyncing from 4.1.0 (my old test set) to 4.2.0 overnight.  I'd like some advice on the following, however:

/0/  I intend to boot from a small partition on the HDD (essentially a floppy image), but it should leave me over 6GB free; is there any advantage to using this for swap space, home directories or something else?  /1/  Can I somehow make good use of the extra horsepower in those 2 NetVistas?  /2/  These will be training machines and have no sensitive data on them; how difficult will it be to setup each client to autolog?  /3/  There is a tape backup unit in the Server; any suggestions on where to read up on backups under FC3/LTSP?  /4/  Anything else you'd like to tell me before I jump in over my head....

Thanks in Advance,
David H. Barr
Sys / Net Admin
Oklahoma Goodwill Industries