[K12OSN] Help design a new elementary school!

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Mar 10 13:09:09 UTC 2005

Agreed.  And once that conduit is laid, start running fiber everywhere,
as many strands as you can reasonably afford.  We're doing that in all
of our schools now.  If you can afford it, run a pair of fiber alongside
every Cat5 run that you're now doing; running fiber isn't nearly as
expensive as it once used to be.  Fiber NICs, though, *are* relatively
quite expensive today, but who's to say ten or twenty years from now?

I've done this in my home as well; each "data port" is actually a
combined wall plate w/ RJ-11, two coax runs (cable TV/modem service),
RJ-45 Cat5, and fiber (SC connectors).  It's great, and I won't have to
do that again for a very, very long time.

--TP