[K12OSN] Managing a Samba PDC

cliebow at downeast.net cliebow at downeast.net
Fri Mar 11 12:05:57 UTC 2005

prob easiest to take the names and build a new smbldap pdc and bdc.where
are your homedirs..in our case i havnt yet duplicated some of the nt
functionality in ldap as far as authrnticating thru firewall adn
multiserver homedirs..itl take about 10 minutes to build a new
authentication from smbldap if you dont have exising structures that wil
screw you up...chuck

> Hello all,
>     All the discussion of the new smbldap script flying around lately
> has triggered a few questions in my disheveled mind.  I run a 700+ user
> NT domain, with one PDC and 3 BDCs helping to distribute the
> authentication load.  If I built a Samba PDC would the BDCs still sync
> up with it, or would I have to turn them into just plain servers?  Could
> I still use the NT User Manager for Domains application for user
> creation and maintenance, or would I need to retrain my staff on
> something else?  If I ran this script on my K12LTSP server, would it
> automatically start accepting the existing Domain logons and passwords
> transparently, or is there more to it than that? I've got my users
> "Home" folders spread out across three servers, one for HS, one for MS,
> and one for ES for fault tolerance.  Initially these were three separate
> LANs and when we connected them I just left the existing scheme in
> place.  Can the Samba PDC implementation handle that, or do I have to
> change the way I do things? Forgive me if these are silly questions, but
> I'm an NT guy trying to find his way in the Linux world.
>
> --
>
> C-ya,
> Mark
> ____
> "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a
habit." -- Aristotle