[K12OSN] Starting work on 4.2.1

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Mar 13 12:01:19 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 20:59 -0800, Eric Harrison wrote:
> I'm finally back from three week's worth of vacation, R&D work, &
> conferences.
>
> I started work on K12LTSP 4.2.1. So far I have included all of the
> security & bug fixes.
>
> What is new that should be considered for inclusion? Off the top of
> my head:
>
>  	* the official Fedora Extras repository
>  	* Inkscape
>
> Is the LDAP script ready to be included? (perhaps just in /opt/ltsp/scripts?)
>
> -Eric

Eric - a REQUEST:
I really find that I keep coming back to GALEON as my preferred browser,
so I'd like to see that as an alternative option to Firefox.  Since
they're both built on Mozilla it shouldn't be too much to ask,
right?? ;-)

WHY?
1/ Until you've tried it you won't appreciate that it offers far better
usability options than Mozilla and Firefox for tabbed browsing - a
usability feature that I've embraced with a vengeance since discovering
Galeon's tabs.
2/ Early versions used to be memory and CPU hogs and crashed a lot.
Maybe because of this it has VERY good crash recovery and when
restarting offered to restore previous session or save tabs and windows
as bookmarks.  New versions are now very stable and not memory hogs, yet
they still offer that same session restore in cases where you have to
kill some runaway processes (BTW: I've had some cases recently where
runaway processes have taken down other applications, such as Galeon).
On the other hand, when I've had to kill Firefox ALL the previous
browsing session was lost (maybe it was in history, but not as
convenient to restore the session as the method which Galeon offers)
3/ Out of the box Galeon offers other usability features like a spinner
to increase text size in the page you are browsing (I know that you just
hit CTL + in Firefox to zoom text, but that takes two hands instead of a
mouse click)
4/ You have to use Dags repositories to get it by apt, and every time I
use Dags it screws up everything else on my system :-(
5/ I've tried to build updates from source, but it seems that the unmet
dependency list is vast :-(
6/ It seems like a good idea at the time ;-)

Hope it doesn't make your life hell trying to service a (seemingly) lone
request ;-)

--
Regards,
        Gavin Chester,