[K12OSN] "standardizing" IP's in dhcpd.conf

Rob Owens hick518 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 13:20:57 UTC 2005

I'm trying to come up with a standard numbering scheme
for my IP addresses.  Here are the different
categories of machines I can think of so far that
could possibly be on my network:

1) devices -- routers, wireless AP's, print servers,
etc
2) servers -- ltsp, dns, nfs, etc
3) workstations with static IPs
4) ltsp clients with static IPs
5) workstations with dhcp IPs
6) ltsp clients with dhcp IPs

Can anybody think of any more?

Since I still don't know exactly how ltsp and dhcp
work, I'm not sure if #5 and #6 can share the same
range of IP addresses or if they have to have unique
ranges.  Same goes for #3 and #4.

Some of the standalone workstations will also be
capable of booting over the network, and I would like
a machine that has a static IP address as a
workstation to have the same static IP address as an
ltsp client.

Any suggestions are welcome.

-Rob