[K12OSN] Root Password corrupts?...more details

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Mar 14 01:05:22 UTC 2005

Here's a more simple approach to fixing the 'lost' root password problem, although it
does allow for a *very* bried security hole:

1. Boot the system from CD, either the RH in rescue mode as others have suggested; or
you can use a Knoppix disk.  Knoppix might have trouble with some SCSI controllers (I've
got some Compaq ML350s in which Knoppix doesn't recognize the SCSI controller), so the
RH route might be more reliable.

2. cd to / and create a directory to use as a mountpoint.

cd /
mkdir xx

. Mount the partition of the hard disk that contains /etc (probably under /) onto athe
new mountpoint.  For example

mount /dev/hda1 /xx/

3. cd into /xx/etc/ and edit the passwd file, removing the x in the second field for
root's ID; in other words, change

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

root::0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

Save the file, and reboot the system, remove the CD, so that you boot as normal.  When
you get to the login prompt, login as root, and the system should let you in without a
password.  CREATE A PASSWORD IMMEDIATELY!  Just run the passwd command.

This brief period where root doesn't require a password is the small temporary
vulnerability window I mentioned.  If you're really paranoid, just unplug the network
cable from the box until you get the new root password set.

Petre