[K12OSN] low tech solution needed for backing up home directories

John Ingleby john at coronet.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 21:59:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 10:46:30, Carl Keil <carl at snarlnet.com> wrote:
> How are
> folks without tape drives or a backuppc server backing up home drives on
> a smaller network.
I'm supporting a small network with just 3 terminals. The server has 2
hard drives, and to start with it ran a background cron job every 30
mins to rsync the main /home dirs from drive A to drive B. I thought the
rsync would impact users, but they didn't notice, so perhaps a more
frequent rsync might have worked.

That all went fine until one day drive A crashed... so now the server
uses RAID-1 mirroring. If you contact me I can send you my notes,
depending on your setup.

John Ingleby