[K12OSN] Local App

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Fri Mar 18 15:31:05 UTC 2005

Brandon,

Firefox makes a great app for running locally.  It can be very
compute-intensive, and implements alot of it's functionality in
Javascript.  That is code that doesn't share well with others, and
you might as well utilize the cpu and memory of the client for running
that.

There's some information on the LTSP wiki Local apps page.
here's the URL:

    http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LocalApps

Down at the bottom of that page is the link to the Local firefox info.
I pasted the LocalApps page, because there's instructions on that page
for setting up the keys for SSH to allow you to launch the app locally.

OpenOffice on the other hand makes a great shared server-side app.  So
much of the code can be shared amongst all of the users on the system,
that it makes sense to keep it running on the server.
You can see this, when the 2nd user goes to launch OOo. It practically
jumps on the screen.  The first user incurs the cost of loading, and all
of the additional users get the benefit.

if you made OOo a local app, it would be extremely slow for everyone, as
all of that code would have to be sucked across the network, to each of
the workstations.

Hope that helps,

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org