[K12OSN] K12LTSP and VNC

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sun Mar 20 00:24:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 13:57, Byron Kapali wrote:
> Im an new to the K12LTSP revolution but I am very familiar with VNC.  I
> setup a mini K12LTSP lab in my library  with thin clients running out of
> eth1 and my internet connection out of eth0.  The problem I am having is
> that I have to run down to the library to everytime I want to do updates or
> just modify a few things on the K12LTSP server.  Is there a way to setup VNC
> server on K12LTSP such that I can login from my room and not have to run
> down to the library?  I can ping server's eth0 port so I'm assuming that I
> can establish a  VNC connection.  Any suggestions?

If you took all the defaults on the setup you should already have vnc
configured to start a new session out of xinetd on a connection.
However you probably have everything except ssh firewalled on the eth0
side.  If you can do your work in character mode, just log in with ssh
instead (or use putty if you are on a windows box).  If you need vnc
you can either use the ssh/putty port-forwarding feature to forward
local 5900 to localhost:5900 and then tell vnc to connect to localhost,
or you can open up the port(s) in the firewall.  (5900 through 5905
are used for different size/color depth screens - use 'grep vnc
/etc/services to see the list).

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com