[K12OSN] Local Apps....Firefox....and more

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Mon Mar 21 16:22:16 UTC 2005

OK....the more I read the more I get confused....

I was just reading this
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LocalAppFirefox  in addition to
having read Chuck's post
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LocalApps and I can't figure out
if the firefox one supercedes the one Chuck wrote.  Nonetheless, I think
there is enough of a need to make this process something that is scripted
and included in K12LTSP as an option.

Not being a coder, but getting better at bash scripting....

Would it be possible to write a script that generates ssh keys according
to Chuck's how-to and then populates the correct stuff in the correct
locations automagically?

Next....would it be possible to pretty much script the installation of
Firefox and the LocalApps bits so they go into the right places to use for
local apps

then all we'd have to do is enable the Local Browser piece in lts.conf.

Secondly as soon as it's available if we can find the way to also use the
flash-plugin as a local app....then I will be a very happy guy!  (We all
want that right?)

According to Chuck, if you're running Samba/LDAP then NIS is not
necessary....right?

Whaddya think?  What are the gotchas?

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator