[K12OSN] Can't see internet on fresh 4.2.0 install SOLVED

David D. Nelson nelsda at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 20:23:46 UTC 2005

--- "David D. Nelson" <nelsda at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 17:55, David D. Nelson
> wrote:
> > > My ISP gave me a static IP of
> > > x.x.x.162, a gateway of x.x.x.125 and a subnet
> > mask of
> > > 255.255.255.252.
> >
> > Something is wrong with those values.  A
> > 255.255.255.252
> > netmask gives you 4 addresses with only 2 usable:
> > .161 and
> > .162.  Your gateway must be within the same subnet
> > and the
> > .125 address isn't.  Could the netmask have been
> > 255.255.252.0?
> > Or could .161 be the gateway?
> >

> Since it is working with .125 as the gateway I
> assume
> it is ok. Maybe, however, the ISP meant to say my
> gateway was .161 and I'm using the wrong gateway.
> I'll
> have to check into it.

I found out what the problem was. I had miss written
down my IP address. I went back to the original
installer's worksheet and found that my IP was
supposed to be x.x.x.126. It looks like I transposed
the last two digits.

Thank you everyone for you time in helping me out. I
did learn something in the process.

David D. Nelson
nelsda at yahoo.com