[K12OSN] Help - possible hacking of our NFS/NIS LTSP server

Ron Freidel rfreidel at computergeex.com
Tue Mar 22 23:25:30 UTC 2005

You could try running chkrootkit http://www.chkrootkit.org/, but if your
system was indeed compromised sometimes the best thing to do is to wipe the
system and start fresh.

The best way to avoid that situation is by making sure your user passwords are
not easily guessed, change passwords on a regular schedule, disable root ssh
login (in my opinion it should never be enabled by default), run sshd on a
different port than 22, drop any connection coming from Asia, or any network
you don't want to connect, read one of the many security howto's.

As a test one time I had a Linux box that I was planning to wipe out, I
changed the root password to password, then sat and watched, it took about ten
minutes for someone from Asia to login, before I unplugged the rj45 cable they
had created an accout, ftp'd some files and were starting to create some
folders, at that point I unplugged them from the net.

The changes took place so quickly it must have been a script.