[K12OSN] Managing usernames and passwords across 6 K12LTSP servers (NEWBIE)

Thu Mar 24 08:57:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 23:03, Les Mikesell wrote:
> If you follow the directions for the samba/ldap setup you'll end up with
> LDAP authentication for Linux logins that will keep your NFS user ids
> consistent and with no extra work you will be able to let windows users
> log into the same domain (via samba) with the same logins and
> permissions.  Even if you don't use windows clients now it might be
> handy to already have it set up later.

Ok.

I'm runing only linux + a little *bsd, so samba is no use to me. Thanx
for the tip.

> There are 30 clients, which is about the point where people start to
> notice the difference with a gig server uplink.  However if they

Running 30 thin clients realy needs more than 100Mb, I'm sure.

> are split into smaller numbers each behind a 2-Nic'd server then it
> probably doesn't make much difference.

The originale question was about a 5-server-setup each with 5 clients on
separate subnets, so there is no X on the backbone.

> There is not as much traffic
> to the home directories which will be over the backbone as to the
> clients which will be isolated in smaller groups.

Just my point also. But if it is possible a 1Gb backbone would be
preferable ;-)