[K12OSN] repository for K12LTSP 4.2.1 pre-release #1

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Mar 24 18:07:39 UTC 2005

> OTOH, since this is the first
> run at incoporating the PPC support, and will therefore
> probably have a few bugs,
> perhaps we should save 4.3 for a 'stable' version, even
> though it presently sounds
> pretty solid.  Just some food for thought.

I still have some glitches.  I have switched to using all single NIC
installs and that may be why.  But I still can't get them to always
network boot by just holding the N key at startup.  Sometime the Open
Firmware tweak needs a ,yaboot at the end and sometimes not.  If I could
figure out the reason for inconsistancy here I would be a little
happier.  Also there is NO sound support yet to the thin clients.  None.
That may still be a big hangup for some schools (although not for me
personally).  I have booted every New World mac in my possession with
only a couple hitches.  The Indigo and Blueberry machines need a custom
XF86Config file.  But the same file seems to work for both, however the
glitch with this is when going from i386 to ppc I get a message saying
that my X keyboard settings conflict.  Since my custom conf for ppc uses
X settings and my standard i386 uses generated Gnome defaults I get a
small window asking which settings I'd like to use when switching
between platforms.  No big deal to me but confusing for the more
illiterate.  If I just yank the keyboard settings from the custom XF86 X
won't boot.  I sent Eric this custom file to include in
/opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/XF86Config-4.indigo and asked for some commented text
in /opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/lts.conf with a quick explanation for use.

But I can happily say that I have tested the following and had them
work:
PowerBook Bronze Keyboard
iBook Tangerine
iBook Blueberry
iBook Indigo
iBook Snow
iMac Bondi
iMac Indigo (Custom XF86)
iMac Blueberry (Custom XF86)
iMac Desklamp style

That should cover old machines in most all schools.  I still have Beige
G3 towers, G3 All-in-One's, G3 Blue and White towers, G3 Graphite
towers, and PowerBook Wallstreet versions to test.  If anyone wants me
to do a quick check on any of these let me know.

Other last item is tell potential users to plan on buying mice.  If you
thought single button mice were annoying with a Mac just try them in
Linux, you'll be bald in a week.  At least with Mac OS you can
CTRL+Click for a right click menu, but that trick doesn't seem to work
with Linux.

I think the only major hangups right now are the inconsistancy with the
Open Firmware needing the ,yaboot and not always being able to boot with
the N key.  Secondary to me is no sound.